Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Action Research Plan


Everyone, here is my Action Research Plan. I am currently a substitute teacher in Lumberton ISD. I am not assigned to one particular campus so I am able to serve multiple campuses in the district such as the Primary, Intermediate and the Middle School. I am certified out-of-the country and I have applied for a probationary certificate from the TEA. I am currently seeking full time employment as a teacher so that I can complete the requirements toward certification. 

Therefore, this is what brought me to make an Action Research Plan about substitute teaching. 

Question:

What effect do substitute teachers have on student achievement? 

Please feel free to give me some comments and ideas regarding my plan. If there is anyway I could improve, please give some remarks. I would gladly appreciate it. Thank you.



Action Research Plan
Goal: To investigate the impact of substitute teacher on student achievement.

Action Steps(s):
Person(s) Responsible:
Timeline: Start/End
Needed Resources
Evaluation

  1. Meet with the principals to determine which school districts’ are interested in participating.


Waldrop, Katherine; Wing, Paige; Stringer, Leanna; Wing, Kevin



April 1, 2013 / 
April 12, 2013

Signed documentation giving approval to conduct the research plan

N/A

  1. Obtain permission from the participating school to conduct a study of teachers absenteeism. 

Waldrop, Katherine; Wing, Paige; Stringer, Leanna; Wing, Kevin



April 15, 2013 / April 26, 2013

Signed documentation from the participating school principal; Teachers attendance for the SY 2012-2013


N/A

  1. Conduct a study of TAKs data in participating schools comparing TAKs scores with teacher absentee rates by teacher.



Waldrop, Katherine; Wing, Paige; Stringer, Leanna; Wing, Kevin




May 1, 2013 /
May 31, 2013

TAKs results for school year 2012-2013 and at least one school

Evaluate to determine if lower TAKs scores connected with higher teacher absentee rates.

  1. Creating a survey/questionnaire to substitute teachers on ways how to be effective and better prepared to teach.



Die, Edna

May 1, 2013/
May 21, 2013

A list of substitute teachers at the school who is willing to participate, a Survey Monkey Survey.

Evaluate results and survey possible and feasible suggestions from the substitute teachers.

  1. Create or organize group of teachers to discuss popular methods for preparing the substitute teacher to maximize the students learning.



Die, Edna; Participating Principals

May 1, 2013/
August 30, 2013

Names of teachers in interesting in participating, A room for the meeting and availability of the teachers participating 

Minutes of the meeting and Evaluation of the results.

  1. Administer and determination of the potential costs of implementation.


Die, Edna

August 1, 2013 /
August 30, 2013


Determine which suggestions have the most potential for impact with least cost.

  1. Present findings to involved principals.


Die, Edna; Participating Principals

September 2, 2013 / 
September 30, 2013



Determine schools interested in applying suggestions from the study.


  1. Establish a plan of training or preparation for substitutes and begin training teachers on methods of preparation for an absence.


Die, Edna; Participating Principals

October 2013

Obtain funds for training, organizations, professional development sessions, etc. 

Evaluate substitute and teacher responses through surveys, interviews, etc.

  1. Implement plan for new school year and compare TAKs data. 


Die, Edna; Participating Principals

November 2013

Ongoing use of training as mentioned above, access to TAKs data.

Determine if actions have resulted an impact on TAKs scores and compares teachers absentee rates. 



Format based on Tool 7.1 from Examining What We Do to Improve Our Schools
(Harris, Edmonson, and Combs, 2010)

19 comments:

  1. Interesting topic, and great start! I look forward to following your action research!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Hannah. I changed my topic like a hundred times already and I was having a hard time copying and posting it in my blog. My numbering is kinda off so I will correct that as soon as I can. Please if you have any interesting ideas regarding my research I would gladly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Edna you have a lot of work to do but with plenty of interesting information to discover and decifer. Your action research topic is one that I will be looking forward in reading. The impact that a substitute teacher makes is all about the type of persin he or she is. When I have been absent many of the substitutes, I notice, just want to get through the day! It's sad to say, but they don't feel that they have much vested in the student's learning. I have been teaching for eighteen years and I have seen a lot. Sometimes it's not the substitutes fault. Many times teachers just leave busy work. Good luck in your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have chosen an excellent topic for your action research Edna! Substitute teachers must be able to take over a class and teach the content so it's not a wasted instructional day for students. But, like Diana mentioned, most substitutes just want to get through the day. I'm interested in following your research to see what type of plan or training program you will be implementing for substitute teachers. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great start to your plan. Good substitute teachers are sure hard to come by and having them be able to basically pick up where we leave off has to be difficult. I am eager to follow your research and see what you find. I have read somewhere that someone actually put together a uniform substitute binder for her campus...or is in the process of doing so. I think it was in EDLD 5311. Good luck. The only thing I was going to mention was the numbering...but I see you have already mentioned changing that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edna,
    Wow. My brain spins a little with this. Working with multiple principals, schools, teachers, and substitutes who may lack motivation to do anything with no teaching experience. The only thing I know about substitutes (teaching in a 100% virtual model for the last 5 years I haven't had to deal with substitutes...lol) is what I learned during student teaching. My cooperating teacher taught me that there are 2 important things when it came to substitutes. The first was to ALWAYS teach the students and even practice routines/transitions where the students do not rely on teacher direction (i.e. they already know what and how to do it). This way the substitute can just facilitate transitions and not pull teeth. The second is to leave detailed lessons as a separate unit. Something that the sub and student call their own basically. It still follows the routine and personality of the class, but is a separate topic/unit. Emergencies happen and relying on a sub to "pick up where you left off" is just not a good goal to have (opinion of my cooperating teacher) and could be a disaster waiting to happen.

    In other words, the kids know what to do and you give a list of a few responsible students the sub can lean on to assist the transition times. You have a separate unit and prep students "If I am ever out, you and the sub have an amazing lesson and you get a short pause from whatever we are working on." I really liked this teacher's ideas, just have never had to really implement them myself to give more personal feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I think this is an excellent topic Edna. I know I can remember from long ago the impact a few subs had on me. I can pull some pros and cons from this one. This will be interesting, looking forward to following your research.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edna,
    Interesting topic! Just in case you run out of time or would like to narrow down your topic, researching how severe of an impact teacher absenteeism has on student performance would be great start. Researching the quality of substitutes and implementing training for them could be another project. (I'm not trying to imply that your project wouldn't be done on time, it just appears to require a lot). I have found that great substitutes are hard to find. When we get one on our campus, we are sure to hold on to them. I would love to see substitute training implemented.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great topic - very unique. I agree with others, that this is a BIG undertaking. You might consider, and maybe you have, it just isn't specified, limiting your scope. You could look at secondary schools, or maybe just high school, only. Another thought I had was asking subs what makes them decide to accept or decline a job. Knowing this might be beneficial to teachers and administrators - everyone wants a quality sub, it might be helpful to know what would convince them to come to your school and cover your class. Changes to specifics or not, I think it is a very thought provoking topic. I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Edna,

    That is an interesting topic that you have selected. I noticed that you will using a survey as one of your data gathering tools, which is a great idea for quick data collection. It must be hectic to be substitute and jump around to different schools. Are you only teaching one subject, or are you having to substitute for various subjects? I will check back in the near future to hear what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I taught ELA 4th grade, Math for 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th graders. And then I sub for Special Education 3rd graders and PPCD which is my all favorite. I love the kids. I did Math inclusion as well for 5th graders and Content Mastery in Intermediate.

      Delete
  11. Hi Edna. A good substitute teacher is hard to find and in our district we do everything we can to hang on to them. You seem like you would be the type to have a great impact on students and their learning. I hope other substitutes in your district are just as caring. I'm curious to see what you discover. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your plan sounds really great. Substitutes are a huge part of running a high school and a good sub is hard to come by especially in math. I agree with Stephanie about training the students and leaving detailed plans. We have had a math teacher quit every year that I have worked at my school and they have been replaced by a long term sub. The students get really restless with a long term sub and often complain to administrators about being moved into a class with a teacher. I am very interested in your research and look forward to your findings. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad to see your interest in addressing this situation. I know when I have had substitutes in the past they would never complete what I was wanting them or the kids would talk them into doing something else. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Substitute teachers played an important in student achivements. I am currently working at a school where we have to call a sub in almost everyday and we have two permanent subs due to teacher giving on leaves. You can tell when a sub is in command of the classroom and how he/she is doing by looking at the students. i really like that you are doing this action research plan. I am looking foward to read your findings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Edna your research plan looks interesting. I really am interested to see the results as you take this journey. I think the goal is a very unique and challenging one. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your plan looks interesting. I am curious to see if substitutes have an impact on student achievement.I feel a lot of the time they are just the "babysitter" for the day. Hopefully if the sub is there for a long period of time they will get a certified teacher (in this case their actually might be some learning taking place). I am looking forward to reading your results. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I wanted to return the favor and would like to comment in your action research plan as well but I could not find your blog.

      Delete
  17. Thank you all for all the wonderful comments in my blog. I know this is a very ambitious undertaking but I am excited. I will definitely take into consideration all of your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete